Maine's classical music radio network has been sold

Brian Vita brian_vita@cssinc.com
Fri Dec 12 16:12:51 EST 2003

Brian T. Vita, President
Cinema Service & Supply, Inc.
77 Walnut St. - Ste 4
Peabody, MA  01960-5691 USA
+1-978-538-7575 voice
+1-978-538-7550 fax
www.cssinc.com

First of all, WBOQ was essentially MOYL with a bit of NAC thrown in.  I
actually listened to the station for the first time in recent history last
week and was impressed with the sound but annoyed by the stopsets from hell.
They seemed to go on forever.

> I guess that the locally produced format (though voice tracked in many
> dayparts) was just too expensive for the greedy new owner
> (even though he is a member of the Tanger family).

Given the fact that we really don't know what's being done and that all
that's being said is speculation, won't you feel like an ass if there are no
changes?

> The people who really P!@# me off, though, are the
> ones who say "gee, I hope they switch to smooth jazz." What
> the H!@# is the matter with these idiots? What is it that
> bothers them about real (albeit, light) jazz with
> recognizable melodies? MUST the only "jazz" on commercial
> radio be Kenny G 24/7?

Thirdly, Kenny G makes up very little of a smooth jazz rotation.  Right now
on the NAC charts you'll find David Sanborn (known for more traditional
jazz), a number of covers of various Motown and R&B songs by Michael
McDonald, Lee Rittenour, George Benson, etc.  What I hear on the smooth jazz
stations that I listen to when I travel and also off of XM is a strong lean
towards an upbeat Motown type sound.  Take a look at this week's R&R chart:

http://www.rronline.com/Charts/sj_Home.htm

Brian T. Vita, President
Cinema Service & Supply, Inc.
77 Walnut St. - Ste 4