Maine Tower Collapses

Dan Billings billings@suscom-maine.net
Thu Dec 11 18:19:25 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Fybush" <scott@fybush.com>
To: <bri@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2003 5:16 PM
Subject: Maine Tower Collapses

> The WMGX/WYNZ tower in Portland came down about 1:30 this afternoon.
WYNZ's
> back from an aux site, but WMGX is silent. More details (such as they are
> at this point) in NERW - www.fybush.com

WCSH quoted Portland Radio GM Cary Pahagian as saying that they did not know
what lead to the tower collapsing.  He said the towers were regularly
inspected.

The weather in Maine today is rainy and windy, but the temperature in
Portland this afternoon was above 40 so icing was not an issue.

The tower is a major local landmark.  It stood right next to Interstate 295
just as the interstate comes into Portland.

The tower fell within 18 inches of hitting the building at Nappi
Distributors.  It took out two cars and pulled power lines down on the
railroad tracks.

As a former employee of Portland Radio Group, I can say that the companies
studio facilities are well maintained and modern.  I obviously have no
direct knowledge of the maintenance of the companies towers, but my
impression was that the company took maintenance seriously.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine