Re: Pro's & Kin's

<<On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:55:35 -0700 (PDT), tc@chaostheory.com said:

> Does NPR-- or any radio other news organization that folks are aware of,
> for that matter-- have a style guide that dictates the
> pronunciation?

Interesting question.  Certainly all of the Washington-based news
announcers seem to have very much the same style (which I find gets on
my nerves rather quickly) even though their voices are quite distinct.
(I can certainly tell the difference between Carl Kasell and Corey
Flintoff even if I can't spell their names without looking them up.)

There seems to be a wider variation in the sound of local announcers,
particularly as you move away from the northeast.  Simply put, the NPR
affiliates' local announcers tend to sound much more like their
listeners; I don't think the NPR network announcers sound like anyone
else on the radio anywhere.

-GAWollman