WJUL "Lowell SunRise"

So my automated recording of WJUL's "Lowell SunRise" failed to start this
morning.  D'oh!!!   But I was able to catch some of the last hour (9-10am)
and dear god it sounded heinous.   Yes - I'm putting aside the consultant
hat and putting on the critic hat.  It's never pretty, but it can be
educational (at least when taken with a grain of salt :-)

Personally, I thought it sounded exactly like the WJUL kids feared:
commercial radio trying desperately to be full commercial radio while
skirting the non-commercial/underwriting rules.  Several of the
underwriting spots were right on the edge of being in violation.  Not to
mention there were everywhere, it sounded like an underwriting break every
five minutes.

It also sounded like the majority of the hour from 9-10am was automated -
there were series of poorly-timed spots and promos run together in that
telltale-sounding Winamp playlist manner.   Other that that, it sounded a
lot like a weak version of WBZ-AM.  "The Radio Jewel of the Merrimack
Valley"  Ugh.   Plus it couldn't possibly sound more out of place than
compared to the regular WJUL programming.

Now that is a bit of a cheap shot, b/c nothing SunRise could do would
really sound like the underground rock (or Talk Info Center/Radio Reading)
that's normally on WJUL.   But...and perhaps folks on the list can help me
elaborate here...it just sounded "too commercial".  Something a little more
laid back might've been more appropriate?  I'm not quite sure how to
describe it...

To their credit, despite the lack of actual news (there was more
tub-thumping for the Sun's newspaper than actual news going on) at least
what content they did do was near-exclusively locally-oriented.  Points for
that.  :-)

In summary: I don't get it...WBUR has a HUGELY successfully public radio
news format.  Why aren't they emulating that?