Re: WNEW changes again...

Sven writes:
> No.  They used to.  It was 92.3 K-ROCK.  That station also carries Howard
> Stern in the mornings.
>
> The station flipped from classic to "active" or "modern" rock (I just call
> it heavy metal) sometime around 1996 or 1997.

I believe they flipped a tad earlier than '96...maybe a year or two earlier.

> That's around the time Infinity also bought WNEW-FM 102.7 (an existing
> classic rocker).  They flipped it to talk some time in 1999 or 2000.

Infinity bought WNEW-FM sometime around 1992 or so, when duopolies were
first permitted. The station muddled along for a few years, with the
Infinity suits continually tweaking it to compliment K-Rock. That basically
killed off WNEW's hardcore listeners. IIRC, they gradually axed all the
long-term 'NEW jocks (i.e. Scott Muni) as well.

For a brief spell before Hot Talk, 102.7 toyed with an active rock format as
WXRK skewed more modern (i.e. Green Day, Foo Fighters) and on the lighter
side of the alternative movement.

> The only classic rock station left in the city is Clear Channel-owned
> Q-104.

Mark Parenteau's last regular terrestrial radio gig.