Re: WVNY TV (22) News gone...

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:06:18 Bill O'Neill wrote:
> The Rutland Herald is reporting this morning that
> the Burlington/Plattsburgh ABC
> affiliate, WVNY (22) is ceasing it's local news
> operation (6 & 11) as of this
> Friday.

<snip>

> WCAX TV (3) CBS affil.
> longtime anchor, Marcelas
> Parsons, said that it felt "like a death in the
> family" given the loss of the
> outlet in the market.

One thing again to keep in mind here, just a few short
years ago (1997-98) WVNY did the exact same thing and
cut their entire local news operation.  Not exactly
sure when they revived it, but WVNY having no local
news operation is nothing new.  And given the current
scenario with ABC affiliates nationwide, this does not
surprise me at all (and thats not even taking into
account how bad their news ratings have been all
along).  Quite honestly, Marcelas Parsons' comment
about it surprises me most.  He claims its like a
'death in the family'... okay if it is then what about
just a few years ago when they did this same exact
thing before?  I don't seem to recall anything like
that being said about  the loss of their news
operation then

                              Matt Osborne
                              Poughkeepsie, NY