Re: WYCM in Worcester

At 06:46 PM 9/5/2003, Donna Halper wrote:

>>a reporter asked me:
>>
>>I'm working on a story about Worcester's "new" radio station, WYCM,
>>90.1FM, a Christian rock station which bought a high school's
>>frequency... How was this frequency available?
>
>Well, I was kind of curious about that too-- I mean, I thought 90.1 is an
>educational frequency, or can anybody buy up anything these days?

Sure, there's no law preventing the sale of a non-commercial license.  The
town government probably didn't actually sell it...I'll bet they did a
long-term lease to both appease angry residents over the loss of their
station, and to provide a better source of long-term revenue.

It is considered a "major change" by the FCC when ownership of a NCE
changes by 51% or more...and therefore subject to much more stringent
review (and delay) by the FCC.

Seems this sort of thing is getting more common all the time, after all -
look at WJUL; similar thing just not as much time given up.