Re: WCBS-Home of the hated Yankees!

--- Paul Hopfgarten <paul@03038.com> wrote:
> Nothing more fun than listening to John Sterling and
> Charlie Steiner
> broadcasting a 8-0 Red Sox lead on WCBS!

John Surly and Charlie Whiner? :) Ah, if only
every Yankees loss could be commemorated by Sterling
with a rowdy "Yankees lose, theeeeeee Yankees lose!"
to counterbalance what he shouts when they win :)

Of course, the rivalry is kind of one-sided...
the Sox fans kind of get into it more. Maybe we're
driven by the frustration of not winning it all since
3 years before my Dad was born (and my Dad's 82...)

I do have to put up with a couple Yankee fans at work
(one of
whom actually hails from the Bronx). They like ragging
on Sox fans. I suppose if the Sox were to actually win
a World Series, they'd say, "Big deal...
so you won it ONCE since 1918. We won it 26 times..."
:)

To keep this on the topic of broadcasting, there was
an article in the Globe recently saying that the
Red Sox were having a tougher time getting cable
systems in Connecticut to carry NESN (they'd be
more inclined to carry the YES network and/or
the other NY sports network, MSG, which I think
has the Mets.) Connecticut is seen by some as a big
suburb of NYC. Some Yankee fans, some Red Sox fans,
and some Mets fans.

One Yankees employee was quoted as saying,
"God roots for the Yankees". (And no, it wasn't
Mr. Steinbrenner!) :)