RE: FCC gives ultimatum to Radio Free Brattleboro

> >When you consider the flagrant technical violations that are
> rampant at
> >legal Class D FM (translator and college/high school) and
> also at many AM
> >stations these days, Jim's comment makes a lot more sense:
> why are they
> >going after RFB when there's plenty of bigger fish to fry?
>
> A wild guess: somebody is complaining to the FCC about RFB's
> presence. Maybe a licensed broadcaster in the area who
> doesn't like the competition?

More likely, now that RFB has made themselves a very visible wart on the
FCC's arse, the FCC has to act prudently to prevent a precedent from being
set that will spawn thousands of RFB's.  From what I've seen, the FCC
generally doesn't care about this type of operation until someone complains.
Once someone complains they have to act.  Since RFB decided to make this a
public spectacle rather than being quiet about it, the FCC had no choice but
to come down again on them.

If the FCC had not reacted this second time and, in doing so, allowed RFB to
come back on unchallenged, this case would be cited in every similar action
in the future.  Every kid with a souped up Mr. Microphone would be on the
air challenging the FCC.

Personally I'm offended by the arrogance of the RFB people with their claim
that the laws don't apply to them.  I'd love to own a radio station too but
at least I'd obey the laws of the land.  I'd love to see the FCC fine
everyone who touches their microphones post notice.

Brian T. Vita, President
Cinema Service & Supply, Inc.
77 Walnut St. - Ste 4
Peabody, MA  01960-5691 USA