RE: Fwd: BRW: 'RKO lets morning guy Ozone go

At 1:38 AM -0400 8/27/03, Brian Vita wrote:

>There is a reason why shows like this are on NPR or PBS - they are not
>commercially viable.  If there was an audience Clear Channel or one or
>all of the other syndicators would be scrambling for this type of
>programming.  Instead, a minority who "knows what's good for us" uses
>our tax dollar, directly or indirectly (tax deductable status) to force
>feed it to us.

No one is force feeding you anything.  If you don't want to listen,
turn the dial.

So, you think the only formats that should be broadcast are those
which are commercially viable?  Those of us who like other forms of
music shouldn't have the opportunity to hear these on the radio if
they don't have enough mass appeal according to the corporate radio
programmers?

The government subsidies to  public broadcasting is just a small part
of the total budget.  The largest part of the funding, I believe,
comes in the form of contributions from the many people who enjoy the
programming.

So commercial broadcasters never take advantage of any tax loopholes?
And they pay for the frequencies they use?

It never amazes me how the people who bash public broadcasting are
the ones who never listen to or watch public broadcasting.  They just
believe the hearsay and tales from commercial talk hosts about what's
on, most of which is just blatant lies.  So Buckley and Ruckhauser
<SP?, You know, the financial guy> are flaming liberals?

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH