Re: Question for Donna

At 08:57 PM 8/24/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>I seem to recall reading years ago that WBZ Springfield was the first
>COMMERCIAL license issued by the government. I saw that in a Broadcasting
>Yearbook back in the 60's.

Sigh... and I am the Queen of France.  I really am.  The so-called
Commercial License was a marketing device created by Westinghouse and
bought into by the Department of Commerce, the precursor to what we know
today as the FCC.  The first station to officially get this new license was
in fact WBZ in 1921, but it really did not mean much since commercials were
forbidden at that time; it was mainly a way to distinguish yourself from a
ham radio station-- ham stations were allowed to program music and send out
requests/dedications/whatever just like a professional station, until
February of 1922.  But yes, WBZ really got the first one, 19 September
1921.  Even KDKA only had a 'limited commercial license'-- whatever that
meant...