RE: WJIB-AM 74 music on weekends???

> Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 11:41:22 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Sven Franklyn Weil <sven@gordsven.com>
> Subject: WJIB-AM 74 music on weekends???
>
> The only problem is AM reception in the Faneuil Hall/Quincy marketplace is
> HORRENDOUS! There's loads and loads of RFI if you stand outside next to
> those buildings.  There was no AM 74 signal at ALL there.
>
> I can't pick up anything but maybe AM 68, AM 85, AM 1030 and maybe
> sometimes AM 1150 -- and that's only around wintertime...

I've gotten WJIB loud and clear and in full AM stereo even on their low
night power on my Walkman while riding my bike through the Fanueil Hall
area. That's going down Congress St right near it, but not actually at
the Quincy Market buildings themselves. Of course, it depends on which
way I'm facing.

> The Wellington Circle trio (590, 1090, and 1430--but especially 590,
> because of its directional pattern) should do well at Quincy Market.

Yes, all the Medford area transmitters bomb in there for me too, even
1430 on night power because it's a short distance away including some
salt water and it's also coming into their directional pattern somewhat,
which is barely there just a few miles to the west at night.

1150 and 1510 (and 1330, to a lesser extent) seem to come in fairly well
there just because it's the direction that their patterns are beamed.
Also the Quincy transmitters, 1260 and (to a lesser extent) 1300 bomb in
over the Boston Harbor water.

Even the relatievly low-powered North Shore stations 1230 and 1360
aren't too bad coming over the water there. When I go through there
it's usually late at night, perhaps whatever was causing the RFI was
shut off.

Eli Polonsky

http://mail2web.com/ .