Re: Lowell Sun story on WJUL

Good morning all,

Just getting in from a meeting between the UMass Lowell administration and WJUL students, alumni, and concerned community folks. While the meeting took less than three hours, there was the obligatory walk down memory lane and through the studios with WLTI-WJUL founder Ed Bonacci. It was Ed, over 50 years ago, that (accidently) started the whole thing with a "leaky" amp. Four of us, including Ed, then went to have a cold beverage at The Old Worthen, just because that seemed like the right thing to do.

As a former WJUL'er, I am very passionate about anything that involves the station, and the current Lowell Sun partnership is no exception - I want you to know that up front... (flame on)

Not one part of this "partnership" can pass the "sniff test." This thing stinks from its conception, to the one-sided contract, all the way up to the people currently defending it. Even to some of you who don't know what exactly is going on, you sense that something's amiss... and I fear that it is.

But enough of my insinuation. On to the meeting.

The students talked. The administration listened and rebutted. The labor and immigrant community explained. The administration listened and rebutted. The alumni scolded. The administration listened and rebutted.

The students (and concerned others) left feeling more frustrated than *before* the meeting, but perhaps more resolved to address the issue by exploring alternative routes, something they had been reluctant to do at first. (flame off)

Here are some other sites and stories about the issue...

Lowell Sun
http://www.lowellsun.com/Stories/0,1413,105~4746~1542189,00.html

The Boston Herald
http://www2.bostonherald.com/news/local_regional/radi07302003.htm