Re: RIAA Strikes B.U. & M.I.T.

At 01:20 AM 7/23/2003, Dan Billings wrote:
> > Federal law requires that before giving out personal information about a
>student, the school
> > must inform the student and give him/her a chance to object.  The
>subpoenas don't allow
> > enough time for the schools to do that.  The schools have said that they
>will comply with a
> > subpoena that complies with this requirement.
>
>Interesting that Northeastern complied.

I would assume that's got something to do with Northeastern's internal
mechanics of notification being more efficient?  NEU also just does a lot
of things differently than most colleges - perhaps the rules apply to them
differently.

> > Another problem is that all of the subpoenas are issued from the District
>of Columbia federal
> > court.  The schools say that they should be issued from the Massachusetts
>federal court.
>
>Is that a legitimate complaint?
>
>-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine

I'm sure our esteemed Atty.Ross can answer this better, but I'd say it's
legitimate on a technical basis.  In real terms I suppose it means little,
although in theory judges in the Massachusetts courts might - or might not
- be more likely to rule in favor of the colleges should anything end up in
court.