Re: Boston Globe Online / Sports / WWZN cuts staff and programming

Brookline is out because WUNR, a full-time commercial station, is licensed to
Brookline. Also, it isn't clear to me that 1 kW CH from Soldiers' Field Rd
would put the requisite 5 mV/m over the most distant part of Brookline--that
is, South Brookline.

An interesting question about AM COLs, however, is how WRCA and WAZN 1470 were
both able to obtain CPs to change their COLs to Watertown. My guess is that the
FCC examiners who processed the two applications were each unaware of what the
other was working on. I also don't understand why WAZN's new COL had to be
Watertown. I don't see why Belmont or Arlington wouldn't also have been
acceptable.

As for WMEX's night signal in Bedford in the early 1960s, my point was that
other areas, south of Bedford, were subject to much more serious signal
degradation at night on 1510 when the State St South office complex was
constructed in Quincy in the mid 1970s.
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205