Re: RE: radio, TV with gavel-to-gavel coverage of Bulger hearing

On 16 May 2003 at 17:24, hopfgapr@sprynet.com wrote:

> Yah, right. I don't believe that for a second. I will say the Bulger issue
> has seemed to turn into another Dem vs Rep issue! The MA AG (A Dem) gets
> ripped a new one by fellow Dems for suggesting that Bulger resign from
> UMass.
>
> It's quite clear that Party loyalty, especially among Dems is more
> important that doing what's right or wrong.

Republican party loyalty seems just as bad here.

I don't know at this point what to think about what's going on, but I do know that government
prosecutors have no scruples about going after innocent family members in order to get
information or pressure a fugitive to turn himself in.  The report in yesterday's paper that the
FBI came to the Bulger home and offered to help restore Billy's reputation in exchange for
info about Whitey shows just what the game is.

Nobody can have total recall about events, but prosecutors and political enemies are
guaranteed to pounce on everything.  Every memory lapse becomes a "convenient memory
lapse."  Every exercise of rights guaranteed by the Constitution becomes an occasion to
beat the drums again for resignation.

Bulger's resignation wouldn't bother me that much, except that I can't help thinking that the
only reason Romney wants it is so he can try again to dismantle the state University system
by preventing the appointment of a successor.  He prefers the system he got used to in
Michigan, where there are several state universities competing in the Legislature for state
resources.  It's a Michiganer idea.