RE: New AM @ 540 in Jaffrey, NH

549 is a typo, although I believe it happens to be a MW frequency in Europe,
Asia, and Africa (probably also Australia) and it would be one in Antarctica IF
there were any MW stations there. In fact, the only continents where it is NOT
a MW frequency are North and South America.

The application is NOT new; it was filed two years ago, apparently as a ploy by
Stephen Wendell, permittee of the now-deleted WKNJ, the long, long unbuilt 550
daytimer in Franlin Lakes in far northern New Jersey. (As a last-ditch move to
save the CP, Wendell had applied to move WKNJ to Harriman NY so he could diplex
with the AM 910 licensed to (I believe) New city NY in Rockland County.)

Anyhow, Wendell's original purpose in applying for the Jaffrey CP appears to
have been to block WLUX (now WLIE), the 540 station in Islip NY, from
increasing its day power and going directional days. The reason Wendell wanted
to block that move was that it caused prohibited overlap with WKNJ. What
finally happened was that WLUX asked the FCC to revoke Wendell's CP for WKNJ
because he had failed to construct for (I think) 17 years. The FCC DID pull the
CP and DID grant WLUX a CP. WLUX DID construct and I believe has since been
granted a license to cover.

The reason that the Jaffrey station was in today's FCC actions is that Wendell
filed to modify his application to reduce the specified night power. In the
original filing, it was specified as 430W. Today, the FCC announced that it had
accepted an application to revise that to 330W. No CP has yet been granted.
Wendell had already revised the application to reduce the day power and change
the day pattern to protect WLIE's upgraded day facilities.

My presumption is that the reason for the latest reduction is that WLIE also
improved its night facilities. (It used to run 214W-N ND but now is directional
at night and runs just enough additional night power to produce an rms inverse-
distance field of 140.35 mV/m @ 1 km--the equivalent of 250W into an antenna of
minimum efficiency.) Thus, WLIE now qualifies as a Class B AM and must be
protected from interference from stations newer than itself.

No doubt, if the Jaffrey station is built, it won't be the first station built
out of spite. However, my guess is that if the application is granted and the
station is built, Wendell will be getting what he richly deserves--an
opportunity to lose not merely the money he spends on land acquisition and
construction but also the money he spends operating the station until he can
unload it on some greater fool. Undoubtedly, the greater fool will be a
religious broadcaster. I wonder if Blount will pick it up to simulcast WDER.
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205