Re: Power Boost For WERS-FM

At 04:59 PM 5/16/2003, Laurence Glavin wrote:
>According to the FCC's Daily Digest, WERS-FM 88.9 Boston
>has applied for a power boost from 4.0 to 5.3 kw...
>same site, altitude, antenna (not switching to DA).
>I checked the Fall 2002 Arbs at rrconline.org, and
>WERS gets respectable ratings making it the #3 "educational"
>outlet in the City.  (There was nothing reflecting the recent
>Winter book for WERS).  It seems there's very little "buzz" about WERS...I
>can't remember anything recently
>from Clea.

Within the past few months their Assistant to the GM left the station (or
was fired) and replaced by a 2000 Emerson/WERS graduate.   The job's pretty
low-man-on-the-totem-pole but it's one of the few full-time jobs at WERS.

>Maybe they think a little more juice in terms of volt/amps
>will give the station a little more juice in the market
>come fund-raising time.

I suspect it also has to do with dealing with pirates on 89.3 in the
suburbs, and helping counter the blanketing effects in Needham and the Pru.