Re: Old dogs...old tricks

Dan Billings wrote:

>Apparently, working as an engineer for
>a large radio company is like working for Saddam Hussien -- if you come with
>bad news, they shoot you in the head!
>I think that if I was abused for simply doing my job (i.e. making sure the
>station operated legally), I would find another job.  Hell, they don't fire
>you at McDonald's for cooking the hamburgers!

The problem is that management, having generally come up from sales simply
doesn't understand engineering.  It's all geek-speak to them.  When the
engineer comes to see the GM, it's almost always bad news that's gonna cost
the station money.  Management (anywhere) doesn't like to hear that.  I
always make sure I leave a paper trail showing I was aware of potential
problems and made appropriate recommendations.

While Howard Stern may get away with occasionally costing the station a
fine, I really doubt that even the big corporate owners see FCC fines as
simply a cost of doing business.