Re: CNN Ethics

----- Original Message -----
From: "A. Joseph Ross" <lawyer@attorneyross.com>
To: "Boston Radio" <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>; "Dan Billings"
<billings@suscom-maine.net>
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2003 1:28 AM
Subject: Re: CNN Ethics

> I wonder.  This can't be the first time a news organization has had a
bureau in a totalitarian
> country.  How did the networks report the news from Moscow during the
Soviet era?  Didn't
> they have bureaus there?  And wasn't their reporting subject to Soviet
censorship?

During the 1930's, the NY Times reporter in Moscoq Walter Durante wrote
reports that made the Soviet Union sound like a workers paradise.  He
ignored the famine in the Ukraine and Stalin's various purges that killed
millions.  It turned out that the Soviets were blackmailing him.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine