RE: CNN: All the news that we see fit to print

it was written (and I hope it was written jokingly)
>Perhaps, since it appears that CNN allowed itself to be used as a propaganda
>tool of the enemy, their US broadcast licenses should be called into
>question.

Umm, excuse me, but Fox is a propaganda tool of our current President and
the hawks in the administration, so let's challenge their license too.  I
have seen Fox interviewers insult or berate guests whose views they don't
like, something I was taught a journalist should NEVER do.  On the other
hand, bias isn't only restricted to Fox.  NPR thinks Yasser Arafat is a
freedom-fighter and Ariel Sharon is a bad guy.  EVERY network has some
ideological slant.   The wise person factors that in when watching or
listening.  CNN did a commendable job covering the war, and saying they
consorted with the enemy is disingenuous-- every network has to make
certain deals in order to operate in war zones.  I think Aaron Brown, Nic
Robertson, Rym Brahini, Christiane Amanpour and Wolf Blitzer of CNN bent
over backwards to give both sides of the issues, something I rarely see Fox
doing. The fact is that many dictators force networks or wire services to
make 'deals with the devil' in order to remain in that part of the
world.  For example, several Associated Press reporters were threatened by
Mr Arafat for writing negatively about him, and he also told them not to
mention that Palestinians were celebrating after 9/11 or he would throw AP
out.  The Israeli army banned a reporter for the BBC, and I am sure they
also have tried to influence what they see as unfair coverage.  It's also a
fact that political reporters make friends with certain politicians and
treat them more kindly than the politicians they dislike.  One reporter
from the Washington Post has admitted she personally disliked Al Gore, and
I believe that affected the way she wrote about him during the presidential
election; some reporters admit to a visceral dislike of Bush and that
affects their coverage too.

SO, let's shoot all the journalists, or let's just let them do their jobs
and understand the conditions under which many of them have to
function.  Now, can we get back to talking about radio?  I was very pleased
that some of the radio stations rejuvenated their news coverage, and while
I found the right-wing huffing and puffing on WEEI and on radio shows like
Michael Savage on WRKO a bit tedious (I don't mind the viewpoint, but
calling those who disagree nasty names isn't useful... I am not for the
war, but that doesn't make me a commie, a traitor, an ingrate, etc etc.),
it was nice to hear radio reporters actually covering the war, rather than
just hearing the audio feed from some TV station.  But again, when it comes
to the talk shows, I get depressed.  Whatever happened to discourse?  Is
the Brudnoy show on WBZ the only balanced talk show in town?  Or is
screaming at guests and making wild accusations the only way to get
ratings?????