Re: Channel 9 to Boston

Your question suggested a great question for our historians. I remember, about
half a century ago, before I came to Boston, some group owner proposed buying
channel 9 and moving it into the Boston market. I think this proposal dates to
the time when many companies, including CBS, were trying to obtain a
construction permit for Channel 5. CBS, which wanted to build WEEI-TV, was
actually the first company to propose a transmitter site in the Newton-Needham
area. I think one of the applicants--maybe Storer Broadcasting--decided that it
might be easier to buy and relocate Channel 9 than to continue on as one of the
many parties in the competitive hearing process for channel 5.

Can anyone identify the time frame with greater precision, the company that
proposed the move, and the North Shore community that the company proposed as
the new COL. (It WAS NOT one of the larger communities, such as Beverly; I
think it was a community close to Rowley, but not Rowley.) If I recall, there
were technical considerations that made a move all the way to Boston
impossible. I think the issue was minimum spacing to Channel 10 in Providence.
This proposal was made decades before NIMBYism became an "in" thing, so I think
the 1000+-ft tower might just have been possible in that affluent suburban area.

And no, I DON'T know the answers to these questions.
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205