Press Herald coverage of broadcasters' deaths

There were two stories in today's Portland Press Herald about the recent
deaths of Maine broadcasters.

One details the life of former WCSH Sports Director Don MacWilliams:

http://www.portland.com/obits/index.shtml

The other talks about the tributes to Bob Anderson:

http://www.pressherald.com/news/local/030401theduke.shtml

The story includes a photo of Chuck Igo and quotes from him as well.

The folks at WYNZ deserve great credit for the way they handled things in
the wake of Bob's death.  There's no standard procedure for what a radio
station should do when there morning man dies.  I think WYNZ and the other
Saga stations in Portland did a great job in getting the word out on Bob's
death and offering appropriate tributes.  Chuck Igo, in particular, did a
great job on the morning show the last couple of days.  I can't imagine
being in Chuck's place on Monday morning  -- doing Bob's show less than 48
hours after his death.  Chuck handled the situation with grace and
professionalism.  He did interviews with some of Bob's former colleagues
like Frank Fixaris, Bud Sawyer, and Dean Rogers.  It was great to hear
voices from competing radio stations offering tributes to Bob.  Everyone
involved deserves credit for putting competition aside.  (It was certainly
odd to hear competing call letters mentioned on a radio station.  It's
something that usually only happens on LTAR.)  The station has also been
reading e-mail tributes from listeners and has set up a webpage for
listeners to offer their memories of Bob.  The thing that stood out to me is
that all the tributes rang true and remembered Bob for the real person he
was.  I was most impressed that this was done without being maudlin and
while continuing to provide the regular programming elements that the
listeners expect.  Well done.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine