Re: The Colonial Network-- what I found

Donna: I remember the post. I kind of doubt that it really was THE first
vertical AM radiator, but as I said, it was one of the first AND were it
standing today, I'm sure that there would be a queue of people trying to get it
classified as a Massachusetts, if not a national historic landmark. There can
be no question that what was described in the Shepard release was a Blaw-Knox
diamond tower. Scott Fybush can tell you how many of them remain in the US
today. I think there are fewer than 10. The nearest one is at WFEA south of
Manchester NH. There are three at WBT in Charlotte NC but at least two of those
are not original--having been replaced after hurricane damage 20 or so years
ago. The tallest is at WSM Nashvile and the most famous is at WLW. A picture of
the WLW tower adorns the home page of Scott's Web site.

I'm a bit confused about the claimed 430' height of the WNAC/WAAB tower.
Shepard's release suggests that this was the height with the 75' pole fully
retracted. Blaw Knox diamond towers definitely were equipped with such poles
because, in those days, not enough was known about the effects of tower height.
However, at 1230 (the frequency on which WNAC operated) 430' was already more
than 180 degrees. By my calculation it was 193 degrees. And at 1410 (WAAB's
frequency) it was 222 degrees. A 225-degree tower produces the maximum
radiation efficiency, but as was discovered at WSM several years after 1931, it
also produces a wicked skywave that causes fading within the station's normal
service area--unless interference from other stations restricts the service
area even more than the fading does. I would think that the tower proper would
have been shorter than 430' (no more than 400'; maybe less) and that the pole
would have been adjusted upward to achieve the best compromise between
radiation efficiency and anti-fade properties for the two stations.

--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205