Re: The Colonial Network

If construction started in 1929, the first antenna was almost certainly a long
wire. I don't know when the first vertical radiator was built or which station
used it, but my guess is that such antennas were very few and far between until
sometime in the 30s. Maybe the early 30s, but still the 30s. I recall that the
first directional antenna in the US (at WFLA/WSUN 620 in Tampa/St Petersburg)
took to the air in 1931. An AM DA uses vertical radiators and can't be built
with long wires, so some vertical radiators existed in 1931, but not many--I
daresay. WBZ's antenna in Millis was a long wire and so was WHAM's original
antenna in Victor NY, southeast of Rochester. If I recall correctly, WBZ didn't
move to Hull until 1939, so WBZ used a long wire until then and WBZA did so
until the day it left the air.
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205