Re: war coverage pre-empting Bruins

On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 16:49:05 -0500 Dan Strassberg
wrote:

 When I was an
> undergraduate at RPI in Troy, N Y in the early
> 1950s, the Rural Radio
> Network in central and western New York was fed, via
> station-to-station
> off-the-air relay from a direct off-the-air pickup
> of WQXR-FM by WFLY at its
> Tx in the Helderbergs southwest of Albany. Back
> then, full class Bs were
> only 20,000W at 500'. (WQXR-FM must have been
> running less than 3 kW from
> the Empire State Building.)

Are you sure this was the Rural Radio Network?  I seem
to recall a discussion we had on this list not too
long ago that the Rural Radio Network originated out
of WEIV (103.7) Ithaca NY, and that WFLY had nothing
to do with it.  WFLY, to the best of my knowledge, was
affiliated with Al Wertheimer's Empire Radio Network,
based in Buffalo NY at WBUF-FM (92.9).  Would someone
please clarify this to me if I have this scenario
wrong?

                               Matt Osborne
                               Poughkeepsie, NY