CBS and the NCAA tournament

Of course, I am sure the receptionists at Black Rock are probably taking
phone calls of protest now that CBS has moved the first two rounds of the
NCAA men's basketball tournament (aka "March Madness") to ESPN. ESPN is
regionalizing the games, I believe. (There was a breakdown of what is airing
where on ESPN.com a couple hours ago, but I'm sure it's changed as things
develop.)

My question is this: why not put the games on UPN stations? Surely tonight's
games would outrate anything in UPN's prime-time schedule. Most UPN stations
are smaller and only a few might air a CNN feed to account for war coverage.
The games could remain on over-the-air stations in most markets. ESPN could
simulcast some games to account for those markets where UPN doesn't have an
affiliation. But keeping it in the Viacom family would have made more sense,
I would think. Comments?