Re: WSJ Article on Oil Future Scams

Radio--especially (conservative-slanted) talk radio would seem to be the
IDEAL medium for advertising heating-oil and gasoline-futures scams and the
like. Such investments seem particularly popular with the "black-helicopter"
set--generally older, right-wing whackos who listen avidly to right-wing
talk and who subscribe to doomsday scenarios in which everybody ELSE dies
and they wind up having cornered the world's wealth. Never mind that the
earth would be uninhabitable and that they would have no way of tapping into
their newly acquired wealth (had it not all been a scam); they can't quite
think that far ahead.

If you'd enjoy an (un)healthy dose of that kind of talk, try WBPS 890 from
8:00 to 10:00 each morning (M-F) and from 8:00 PM to 4:00 AM in the
evenings/overnights. Those are time periods that the Chicago-based time
brokers, who LMA WBPS from Mega, themselves broker out to Genesis
Communications, which airs a combination of black-helicopter and antisemitic
talk shows. I gather that Genesis has recently expanded from shortwave to
AM--suggesting that somebody with $$$ is bankrolling them. At least one of
the Genesis hosts (his name is apparently "Brother" Futch and I believe that
his nightly program originates from West Virginia) seems to be an ardent fan
of Adoph Hitler. Notwithstanding that, the Genesis folks give every
indication of being solidly opposed to the war on Iraq; hence they bost of
receiving hate mail from Republicans accusing them of being liberal
Democrats ;>(

Anyone who wants to fully appreciate just how weird talk radio can get owes
it to him/herself to listen to this stuff. As Jerry Williams probably still
likes to say, "they're out there...."

As for Mr Glavin, who lives in the Merrimac Valley and hence is beyond the
range of WBPS (especially at night), I'd recommend an expedition to Boston.
This stuff must be heard to be appreciated.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205, eFax 707-215-6367