Re: Chicks play falls

On 19 Mar 2003 at 23:02, Dan Billings wrote:

> Radio monitoring service Mediabase 24/7 reports that airplay for the Dixie
> Chicks slid on all U.S. radio stations by about 20 percent in the
> seven-day period ended on Monday and by about 30 perecnt on country
> stations.

As it turns out, there are protest songs after all, but it's not coming from country music,
which is conservative, and it's not coming from folk music, which simply doesn't exist in the
form it did in the 60s.  It's coming from rock music.  I heard this morning on MTV that
Madonna has a video out with some antiwar lyrics, which has prompted Saddam Hussein to
reverse a ten-year ban on Madonna in Iraq.  A day or two ago I heard of another group,
whose name I didn't catch, which has anti-war lyrics in its latest video.

So the protest songs are coming from just where we might expect -- that part of the pop
music industry where it's OK to be anti-establishment.