Re: Country music stands on the war (and radio)

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 19:25:57 -0500 SteveOrdinetz <steveord@bit-net.com>
writes:
> Bill O'Neill wrote:
>
> >Dan writes:
> >It's one thing to go to a Joan
> > > Baez concert
> > > and her political statements from the stage, but most people
> > > wouldn't expect
> > > it at a Dixie Chicks show.
> >
> >That's the point, right there.  I can't put the right words here to
> >express how LITTLE I care what this band thinks about ANYTHING that
> is not
> >expressed through their (great) music.  Hollywood/Nashville, etc.,
> just do
> >your jobs, punch out and go the bleep home and hug your kids.  Shut
> ... UP.
>
> Agreed.  I can't personally stand the DC (and have a very low
> threshold of
> pain for country music in general) but this seemed like a dumb
> career move
> (Sinead O'Connor on SNL anyone?).  Like it or not, as Americans in a
>
> foreign country their actions reflect on Americans in general, and
> this
> action served no purpose but to tick people off.
>snip<

Actually I commend Ms Maines for her action.  As you point out this is a
dumb move for her career since she is a country star and her fans
generally tend to back this nonsense.   But she is speaking her mind.
While I don't normally pay attention to celebrities when they come out
for or against a particular cause, the US Government has used celebrities
in the past to their advantage, so to have celebrities use their "Bully
Pulpit" in opposition is not a surprise.  The fact of the matter is that
most countries, even little Cameroon, is saying NO to the
U-S "diplomatic" effort.   That's as far as I will go on that political
subject, but I believe Ms Maines was justified in speaking her mind.
Something that until the USA Patriot Act was assured under the US
Constitution,  perhaps that has changed.
df