Re: WBOQ Correction

At 10:17 PM 3/12/2003 +0000, dan.strassberg@att.net wrote:
>Umm, what am I missing here? Why would a private concern or a private
>individual be interested in acquiring a noncommercial FM? In fact,
>wouldn't the
>buyer of a noncomm HAVE to be a non-profit or not-for-profit entity?
>--
>dan.strassberg@att.net

To your last question, the answer is "yes", but there's little or nothing
stopping them from creating a non-profit "educational organization" to run
the non-comm station that's technically and legally separate from WBOQ but
in reality is the same thing.   It does introduce programming concerns in
terms of commercials vs. underwriting but with today's automation, it
wouldn't be hard to schedule cutaways and have slightly different
programming on the non-comm side.

As for "why"...a FM signal is an FM signal.   Even with non-commercial
restrictions if your programming reaches more people it inherently has
greater value.  It doesn't take much imagination to figure out ways to
cross-brand between the commercial and non-commercial in order to jack up
the value of the commercial side and therefore increase
profits.   Obviously it's not as easy to do as with a commercial
license...but it can be done.

Not that I'm an advocate of it, mind you...I'm just saying it could be done.