Re: Fwd: Re: WBOQ (FM) Sold (All in the Family)

This thread may be interesting but I think it lost touch with reality yesterday
morning. As I understand it, WRBB, as a Class D FM, is not the reason for
WBOQ's directional operation. WBOQ could not change its pattern even if WRBB
were to go away completely (and thus remove a major source of interference to
WBOQ in downtown Boston and at least six or seven miles beyond--I get bad
interference from WRBB when I'm trying to listen to WBOQ on my car radio in
Belmont and Watertown). As I understand it, the main reason that WBOQ has to be
directional is 105.1 in Providence (once WPJB-FM; I don't know what it is now).

Were it not for the ridiculous 3rd-adjacent restrictions, I think the best spot
for WRBB would be 104.7. However, I suppose that would get WXLO all bent. With
WBCN on the Pru, I doubt whether one FM receiver in 20 in the downtown area can
get get an acceptable signal from WXLO, so WXLO would not suffer any economic
loss from WRBB moving one channel closer. And WBCN's signal is SO strong
downtown that there's no way that WRBB on 104.7 would interfere with it. But
economic losses or loss of audience have nothing to do with this discussion.
Also, there's a 104.7 on Cape Cod that wouldn't suffer at all but would
nevertheless still protest.
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205