Re: Re:WRKO adds Colmes; moves VB's show

--- Dan Billings <billings@suscom-maine.net> wrote:
> The Constitution also allows those that find a show
> or host objectionable to
> complain to the station or stations that carry the
> show.  That is what those
> concerned about Savage are doing.  I don't see
> anything wrong with that.

True, but the show has yet to air. Maybe they're
basing their complaints on what they hear on the radio
show.

But what about the MSNBC viewers who, let's say,
are in a market where they can't hear Savage's radio
show. They pick up their paper and see "MSNBC
Cancels Savage TV Show Before It Airs" and say to
themselves, "Gee, I guess some people really didn't
like the guy. But they denied me the chance to
see for myself what the fuss is all about."

If MSNBC gets boffo ratings for Savage and they
don't have too many advertiser or viewer complaints,
their experiment will be considered a success.
If the ratings are in Phil Donahue-land (and/or
the complaints force their hand), then they'll
dump him.

Remember Norman Rockwell's "Freedom of Speech"
painting? A man stands up at a New England town
meeting to speak his piece. Others around him
listen; some don't necessarily agree with him
but they feel, "Well, he at least has the right
to say what he feels, even if I don't agree."

Those who wish MSNBC cancels the show before it even
airs would be like someone walking up to the man
in that town hall before he speaks and saying,
"I'm sorry, but we won't allow you to speak.
We don't think we'll like what you have to say."
Of course, the "town hall" is a public forum and
MSNBC if a private corporation (GE, MicroSoft, NBC,
etc.) They have the right to air Savage, or not.
If they feel people will be offended they can indeed
bow to the pressure.

But cancelling something before it even airs? How are
we to know that Savage won't get up there on TV and
read from "The Fountainhead"; talk about why he
thinks the Yankees will win; give a recipe for
banana bread... :)