Shouting News (was:Re: West Warwick Fire - yellow journalism)

<<On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 17:02:21 -0500, Larry Weil <kc1ih@mac.com> said:

> Also noted in Charlotte, like WTOP in Washington, WBT has a simulcast on a
> suburban FM.  WBT-FM on 99.3 could be heard in much of the airport on a
> walkman, as could the jazz station on 88.9 from Rock Hill, SC.

...and for precisely the same reason.  WBT-FM Chester (S.C.) is there
for null-fill behind WBT's nighttime directional pattern.  (No
relation to the old WBT-FM on 107.9 which has some other callsign now
but is still owned by Jeff Pilot.)

North Carolina is a weird state in that its two most populous TV
markets have never had a full complement of commercial Vs -- but most
of the smaller markets do.  In both cases it's the NBC outlet that has
the UHF allotment: WNCN (17 Goldsboro) in the Triangle, and WCNC (36
Charlotte).  The latter calls itself ``NBC 6'' after its cable
channel.  In the other markets: Asheville has only 13 but gets service
from Greenville/Spartanburg on 4 and 7; the Triad has 2, 8, and 12;
Greenville/New Bern/Jacksonville has 7, 9, and 12.  Wilmington also
lost out, with only 3 and 6.  (Raleigh has *4, 5, and 11; Charlotte
has just 3 and 9.)  Moving briefly to South Carolina, Charleston has
2, 4, 5, and *7; Columbia has but 10.  In Virginia, Roanoke/Lynchburg
has 7, 10, and 13.  Scott and I will be in most of these markets in a
month's time.

-GAWollman