Fwd: RE: mic (was NY anchor Bill Beutel retires)

--

--------- Forwarded Message ---------

DATE: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 22:55:29
From: Chuckigo@att.net
To: <billo@shoreham.net>
Cc:<boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>

as to the original question posed by Mr.Glavin, it's been "mic" as long as i
can remember.
<harp sfx> the setting: Jordan Marsh, downtown crossing
the setup: kids looking for their uncle mike.
"can you help us find our Uncle Mike?  we've kind of lost him.  His last name
is Rowfone."
"certainly... paging Mr. Rowfone, would Mr.Mike Rowfone please call the
courtesy..."
(insert giggling 11 year olds here) <slapping own face sfx>

- -Chuck Igo

I checked Google, and "mic" is listed as an "informal" abbreviation of
another abbreviation" "mike"

I'm reminded of an observation by Steve Wright:

"At my bank, JUN is an abbreviation of "June";
who's in THAT much of a hurry?