Re: One Newspaper's Tale on Arbitron

----- Original Message -----
From: <DonKelley@aol.com>
To: <fox893@yahoo.com>; <lglavin@lycos.com>;
<boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 10:48 PM
Subject: Re: One Newspaper's Tale on Arbitron

> Reaction to the Twin Cities article on Arbitron...

Good points.  In Portland, there are only two surveys per year so the
numbers do sometimes vary significantly from book to book.  Everyone wonders
about the techniques but I have never heard anyone seriously argue that the
overall ratings are skewed.

One thing that I do think is silly is breaking the numbers down
demographically and by day part.  How many books are you talking about when
you get down to W 25-54 between 3 and 7 PM?  While the statistical
significance overall may be fairly high, it drops off significantly as you
break down the sample.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine