Re: Power to Mount Washington

<<On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 15:06:08 -0800 (PST), Roy Lawrence <lawrencemedia@yahoo.com> said:

> This might not be a bad idea considering the price of
> gas. It was $1.57 a gallon when I filled up tonight.
> It's got to be expensive for a generator(s) to run
> constantly, pushing two FM facilities and the
> observatory complex.

Keep in mind that the old generator ran on kerosene.  The heavy
long-chain hydrocarbons in diesel fuel would freeze nearly solid if
left outside in Mount Washington weather.  (I assume that the
temporary generator has just a small fuel tank that can be located
someplace warm enough to keep the fuel usable.)

-GAWollman