Re: NERW this week in Massachusetts

At 04:18 PM 2/5/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Think the noncommercial FM dial is crowded enough in eastern
>Massachusetts? California-based Calvary Satellite Network doesn't; its
>two-year-old application for a new station on 90.5 in Scituate was
>accepted for filing this week. It proposes 5 watts vertical, 21.6 kW
>horizontal at 88 meters above average terrain, from a site nowhere
>near Scituate on route 3A near Manomet, southeast of Plymouth - with a
>directional antenna, yet, nulled towards Cape Cod (and adjacents WCCT
>90.3 and WKKL 90.7). All that, and do you think there will be even a
>minute of local programming aimed at Scituate? Insert the usual rant
>here...

Grooooooan....just when I thought my crew at WZBC (90.3 - Boston College)
might get better south shore coverage if WGBH moves to Needham.  At least
Manomet is a lot further south than Scituate - I was worried this app would
be practically in Boston's back yard.

>Down in the New Bedford market, WFHN (107.1 Fairhaven) was granted a
>license this week for its transmitter site at UMass Dartmouth - even
>though the station wants to move back to its old site at Popes Island,
>closer to downtown New Bedford. WFHN had been operating from Fairhaven
>under a construction permit for the last couple of years; if it hadn't
>filed for a license, the CP would have expired.

Quick question - does anyone know if WFHN is indeed broadcasting from UMass
Dartmouth *right now*?   Or are they still at Pope's Island and are about
to move to UMass?