RE: The Human Thing and WMEX

>Larry asked--
>I also just heard tonight (at a jazz concert at UNH) that at one time WMEX
>had a live jazz show three nights a week, hosted by Nat Hentoff. Does
>anyone (Donna?) know anything about this?

I think Dan S. knows about this too-- yes it's true, and Hentoff mentions
it in his book "Boston Boy."  In the old days, when WMEX was owned by the
Poté brothers, and Nat was a student at Northeastern, he did a jazz show
for them.  This would be sometime in the early 40s, I believe... WMEX was
also the place where weatherman (then called "Weatherbee") Don Kent got his
start.  Both recall not getting paid, or having the checks bounce... ah the
good old days...and in the mid 50s (circa 1954), didn't Symphony Sid do a
jazz show from the Hi-Hat, broadcast over WCOP, if I recall correctly?