RE: WMTW to drop 5 and 5:30 newscasts

> It would be hard for them to have any lousier ratings!
>
> -- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine

Was or is there any net benefit from their dumping their heritage
XMTR site (and enormous coverage) for what it has now?  Way over
here along Lake Champlain we could catch them.

Vermont Public TV ran a great story on the WCAX transmitter bunker
last week.  Two guys split the 24 hours and snowmobile it up the
mountain just to get there, sometimes encountering 10 foot walls of
snow in their path.  I bet there are some interesting stories that
come from those remote sites, especially with expected -25F temps
plus wind tonight.  (At least they get to watch TV on the job and
they likely have quality snacks and beverages.

Bill O'Neill