Re: Media myths (Was Townsend)

On 17 Jan 2003 at 9:03, Dave Faneuf wrote:

> One of the many things that went wrong with his campaign is that he
> didn't effectively respond to the myths (there's that word again) that
> were presented as fact, and as is the case with Gore, if the myth is
> allowed to continue it becomes fact so Dukakis will forever be seen as the
> man who let killers out of jail and polluted Boston Harbor all by himself.

That is unfortunately true.  My sister, who is a psychologist, has speculated that this may
have been due to Kitty's substance abuse problem and the upset that a substance abuse
problem causes to an entire family.  It sounds quite plausible to me.

In any event, I heard a story (which may itself be a myth) to the effect that the Dukakis
people actually knew in advance when Bush did his stunt in Boston Harbor.  If that's the
case, it's even more inexcusible that they didn't respond.  He could have met Bush when his
boat reached shore and confronted him about Reagan's veto of the Clean Water Act.  That
would have been the story and made Bush look stupid.