Re: Townsend

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Laurence" <mlaurence@mindspring.com>
To: "Dave Faneuf" <tklaundry@juno.com>;
<boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 1:54 PM
Subject: Re: Townsend

> On 14 Jan 2003 at 12:00, Dave Faneuf wrote:

> Yes.  It happened to an NPR freelance reporter in Maryland in 1998,
> and he ended up pleading guilty after a judge refused to allow him a
> First Amendment defense.

Does the First Amendment give anyone the right to ignore a criminal statute?

And we should keep in mind that criminal defendants often come up with
inventive justifications for their crimes.  They are not always telling the
truth.

This guy admitted to both downloading and sending child pornography from his
home computer.

If he was really researching a story, he should have started by checking out
the law.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine