RE: Maine PBS airing Class A tournament games.

Channel 5 has run these games since the stone age, or
at least since George Hale was cutting teeth.

I'm just guessing, but I'll bet they finally bowed out
due to the rights fees.  It's been 10 years since I
was involved in broadcasting these games, and way back
then, the MPA was beginning to look to the
broadcasters for additional revenue.  That last year,
we were faced with a sizeable increase, and free spots
they hadgone out and sold.

Back then there was some money to be made on the
tourney, but certainly not a gigantic amount.  For the
costs of live television production, CHannel 5 is to
be commended for hanging in there as long as they did.
And I'll be happy to have CBS uninterupted on Friday
nights in February.