RE: Re: Playlists of Oldies er... Super Hits Stations

Larry wrote:
>> It's amazing to me how some of my listeners react to the songs that would be
hard to get on Little Walter.  Particularly the doo-wop songs; since I measure
my total listeners in tens, two emails for the same song was amazing to me
("Whoo-Hoo" by the Rock A Teens).  There is an audience for the 60s music and
the 70s music, which I am discovering is interesting. (snip) <<

i agree that there is an audience for some broader music selections.  our
Oldies audiences have been getting, for the most part, the same "tested" tunes
for 15-20 years now.  growth of the library in both directions (breadth within
a particular year as well as along the timeline) is what's needed to let Oldies
retain its niche and edge.
  and it's weird that you'd bring up The Rock-A-Teens as i literally just
played them yesterday (monday, 1/6/03) as our Lost Oldie artist (and yes, it
was "Woo Hoo").  some of our "Lost Oldies" generate a good amount of feeback,
both on phones and via email.  and it's usually the emails that generate
new "challenges" to find other, long-forgotten songs.
  fortunately we have some "discretionary latitude" in playlist selections at
Oldies 100.9 in Portland.  Bob Anderson in the morning finds some great stuff
to augment rock&roll almanac bits as well to accent his morning trivia contest
(College of Rock&Roll Knowledge).

- -Chuck Igo