Re: shutting off to do transmitter work...

  Mark Watson wrote:

>    I recall the old WKXR AM & FM (1504 & 107.1) Exeter NH would simulcast
>the AM's sign-off, complete with ownership, power, studio & transmitter
>location, and a once even a cue-burned National Anthem. They would sign
>off at 11:25 PM, after Mutual News and 20 minutes of 'WKXR Hometown News",
>a complete local police log and obituary filled newscast.

You don't have to go back that far.  WKXL AM/FM in Concord, N.H. did that
at 11:20 (give or take) as recently as 2 years ago.  They'd end up the
broadcast day with a local newscast and a cheesy signoff, complete with
National Anthem.  I'm honestly not sure that anyone knew that all they
needed was a legal ID!  'KXL didn't go 24/7 until April 2001 when we
installed an automation system.  A real time warp, that place was!