Re: Could it be....

On 4 Jan 2003 at 22:40, Howard Glazer wrote:

> The record companies, apparently, don't take the population shift into
> account, as they continue to push heavily researched, meticulously planned
> youth-targeted product at a youth market that's just not as large a part
> of the total population as the baby boomers were during the industry's
> boom years.

I've thought these population trends have driven a lot of things, and their effects have been
ignored by most people.  I've heard of number of hobby groups griping about the smaller
number of young people coming into the hobby.  They think it's the Internet, videogames,
etc., and maybe those things have some effect, but the fact is, there is a smaller number of
young people, period, right now.

And I also thought that the relatively high inflation of the 1970s and 80s had a lot to do with
the fact that governments were under pressure to overheat their economies in order to
provide jobs for all the baby boomers coming annually into the job market -- a problem
enhanced by the fact that women were also going into the work force in larger numbers.

Which also means that the improved economy of the 1990s was at least partly because of
the end of the Baby Boom.