Re: WBZ & WODS Technical Flubs

"Mark Watson" wrote:

> I tuned in to WBZ Radio early this New Year's morning on my way home
>to hear the 2 AM CBS News. WBZ usually carries the network news till
>the first break, which is 3 minutes into the news, when they go to the
>traffic report. Then the traffic sounder and report, plus the network
>spot and another spot all play at the same time. This went on for
>about 10 seconds, when it suddenly went quiet for a few seconds, then
>a 4th completely different spot played with no problems.

Two weeks ago, on a weekend, I heard the 0:59 commercial play, followed by a few seconds of dead air - then the announcer followed his script as if the Top Of The Hour ID had played - thus no legal ID.

>And I've also heard the Oldies 103.3 top of hour ID fire off 5 or 6
>minutes past the hour on other occasions in the past few months, in
>regular format not during a countdown as they are doing today. Why
>does the jock wait that long to do the top of hour? He/she certainly
>can't be losing track of time.  Or does the hour's music log factor in
>to this top of the hour tardiness.

I've observed the same phenomemon.  Perhaps it's Oldies 103.3's way of compensating for Star 93.7's ID being 10 minutes early.

Roger Kirk