WBPS off the air

"Boston's Talk Party," WBPS 890 AM Dedham, has been Boston's Dead-Air Party for
at least the last 36 hours or so. Sometime Monday, the program feed must have
gone down, because 890 was broadcasting an open carrier when I left work at
around 7:00 PM Monday. That continued overnight and presumably must have
continued for at least part of Tuesday. When I got into my car to drive home at
about 8:30 PM Tuesday evening, my first reaction was, "they're back." But I
started to wonder when the news contained several items about Chicago. Yup, it
was WLS, clear as a bell, even under the trackless-trolley wires in Watertown
Sq. The open carrier was gone. (If Boston really is outside of WLS's 0.5 mV/m
10% skywave contour, last night must have been one of those 1% or 2% nights;
WLS's signal--which was darned near fade free--had to be AT LEAST 3 mV/m in
Watertown Sq.) This morning, the open carrier is back, although I did not
notice a pattern change just now at 7:00 AM.

I wonder whether this is a technical problem or whether the outfit that is
LMAing 890 from Mega and broadcasting all of those far-right-wing talk shows
has failed to come through with its latest lease payment.

--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205