Re: Fwd: RE: WBPS cranks up the volume

Laurence: The way in which you snipped my message in your quote makes it appear
that I posted exactly the opposite of what I posted. The incorrect assertion
about WOTW not having any nighttime authority was in the message to which I
replied.

The 900 station that rebroadcasts CJAD is in Sherbrooke PQ. I think the calls
are CKTS. It's 10-kW-U DA-2 (I think) and at night is directionalized with a
very strong narrow lobe to the south--aimed right at Nashua. If WOTW were
running, say, 5 kW at night and was strongly directionalized toward you, and
you compared the difference between the interference received by WCAP and WOTW
at similar distances from their transmitters, WOTW would typically get more
interference than WCAP.

With that kind of interference, 60W shouldn't cover very much of Nashua.

It could be that, prior to the change in ownership, WOTW didn't bother with
legal niceties and the new application allows the station to operate legally at
night. I believe that the FCC has recently changed the rules covering nighttime
operation of Class D AMs. Until this change, if a Class D station wanted to
operate unlimited time, it had to give up its post-sunset authority, which,
compared with the power it would be granted for all-night operation, permitted
greater power during the two hours immediately after sunset (and within those
two hours, more power during the first hour than the second).

--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205