RE: Top 10 list radio related holiday gifts

Hakim Madjid wrote:

>If I search there for DX-398 it only comes up with tech support info
>This leads me to believe that The Shack has decided to drop the 398.
>So, it might the $149.95 sale price is to liquidate remaining inventory.
>If that's the case, get 'em while they're hot.

Anyone know how it compares to the old  DX-440 (Sangean 803)?  Bought one
of those when they were being discontinued back in the early 90s.  Good
receiver except for the chuffing and the fact that the rotary tuning knob,
which never worked right is now almost totally non-functional.  Front panel
tuning works, but is a bit cumbersome.  As I recall, this was a problem
with this unit.  Probably ought to try & get it fixed one of these
days...probably not worth buying another given the amount of SW I listen to
these days.

>Radio Shack seems to have drastically paired down their selection of
>SW receivers, besides the crappy $99.95 all band stuff. I wonder if
>it has anything do to with the BBC decision last year, and thus the
>market for this type of gear has gone down.

RatShack has cut back on a LOT of the older products they used to carry in
favor of more cellphones (do you need batteries?) and presumably higher
margin stuff.  Many stores have all but discontinued parts, too.  Car
stereos went away a couple years ago.